'Super Mario Run' Hidden Coin Guide: Where to Find the Locations of All the Secret Black Coins
Friday, 16 December 2016
One of the most interesting and challenging aspects of Super Mario Run is the five hidden coins that can be located throughout each level. While the initial pink versions are relatively easy to locate, the final black coins can be extremely difficult to attain, even if you know where they are within the colorful environments Mario has to traverse to save Princess Peach. While I'd highly recommend trying to discover where each black coin is located by yourself, there may come a point where it is just too frustrating without successive retries to find them all. If you are truly stumped by the black coins in Super Mario Run, here is a guide to where each of the elusive item can be found in the game's levels.
However, before I get into the guide, there are some key points that can make the black coin hunting experience far more enjoyable and easier for the average gamer, which we sum up in our walkthrough of some of the techniques on finding each course's secrets. Essentially, familiarise yourself with each level beforehand, and don't feel compelled to collect each coin immediately on the first run-through. Most importantly, on the vast majority of the levels you can take as much time as you need - use pause blocks to assess the situation ahead, and also to calm down and focus on the tricky jumping techniques that may be needed to get the next black coin. Finally, while I have tried to be as descriptive as possible - as well as provide a picture guide of roughly where each coin is - there's a chance you may still be stuck on a particular coin. If so, leave a comment at the bottom of the walkthrough and the community will try and help you with your issue; alternatively, head to our Super Mario Run thread for more tips, tricks and further discussion for the game. Good luck, and happy hunting!
1-1: Up and Over
- 1. Immediately at the beginning of the level, make sure you obtain the super mushroom. High jump onto the floating three-block wall straight after, and wall jump off of it into the floating black coin.
- 2. Shortly after the first pause block, you will encounter two question mark blocks at the top of a declining slope. Jump on top of these, and then launch Mario from these blocks onto the floating clouds where the second black coin lies.
- 3. After the second pause block, fall down onto the ground below and fall down the hole - wall jump onto the black coin, and escape the hole.
- 4. On the third pause block, you will see a singular floating question mark block high up. Jump up to it and you should just grab on and climb up to it. Once you're on top of it, jump up on top of the brick block and jump up to the clouds, where the fourth black coin is waiting for you.
- 5. After the final black coin, keep on running past the two lines of four coins, and you will see a question mark block with two brick blocks either side of it. The first brick block on the left contains the black coin.
1-2: Wall-Kicking It Underground
- 1. Just when you encounter the first Goomba, jump up the gap in the ceiling where there are an abundance of coins. Through well-timed wall jumps, position yourself so Mario jumps right beneath the edge of the right wall. After this, high jump off the right wall, and again high jump off the left wall, and you should reach the black coin on the ceiling.
- 2. After the first pipe, continue until you reach the second jump pad. wall jump to the very top (without climbing up to the platform), and you'll see a question mark block hugging the left wall. Slide halfway down the right wall, powerfully wall jump off, and swipe to the left so you're under the question mark block. Quickly jump to hit it, and you'll get the second black coin.
- 3. After the second pipe, when sliding down the long downhill with the goombas on, jump off before the end (on previous color coins, there was an arrow on here - it's all about timing it right) and wall jump up to the top platform. Keep going until you see the black coin on the right wall, and wall jump off it to grasp it.
- 4. After the third pipe, you'll immediately encounter two jump pads. Climb up the hole, and there is a sole question mark block at the top. Hit the block for the fourth black coin.
- 5. After the fourth pipe, navigate the piranha plants and wall jump up the first hole in the ceiling with the multiple coins and two piranha pipes. Wall jump off the very corner of the right wall and grab the fifth coin above the left piranha pipe.
1-3: Paratroopas in Mushroom Valley
(note: owing to the varying positions of the paratroopers if you're forced to use a bubble - and the severe lack of pause blocks - try and attempt to collect all five black coins without stopping or falling at all)
- 1. After the start, grab the super mushroom power-up on top of the yellow mushroom platform, but jump over the arrow leap blocks onto the second green platform below. You'll soon see a floating paratrooper with a path of coins next to it - jump onto it and if timed right, you should collect the first black coin.
- 2. After the first black coin, you'll encounter a yellow mushroom platform with a row of coins - jump onto this. Jump up to the green mushroom platform, and then again jump on top of the floating paratrooper at the end of the platform, and up to a red mushroom platform with another row of coins. Yet again, jump off of this platform onto another floating paratrooper, and off it you should reach the second black coin at the very top of the level.
- 3. The third coin is very similar to the other two black coins. Keep on going and you'll reach the red coin circle on a higher up green platform - continue with this upper route. You'll see two question mark blocks with a diagonal arrow coin block on it - jump on top of this, and from these blocks onto another paratrooper, and the third black coin; you may need to spin in the air for extra height to get this coin.
- 4. Soon after the third coin, you'll encounter a yellow platform with a lot of coins floating above it. Jump down to this platform. Keep on running, and literally fall off of it. Mario should land directly onto a paratrooper - jump off this one onto yet another paratrooper, and from the second one you should be able to reach the fourth black coin.
- 5. In the next area after the fourth coin, there are a lot of leap blocks - ignore these, and stick to the lowest platforms at all times. Towards the end you'll encounter a green platform with a lot of coins above it. On the platform after this, you'll see the black coin low down on the wall - slide down to it to collect the fifth and final black coin of the level.
1-4: Bowser's Castle Hangout